Thursday, September 17, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I just got done with Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins’ sequel to The Hunger Games, and I can’t believe I have to wait another year to find out what happens next! 

Katniss could never have predicted the consequences of  her actions at the end of last year’s Hunger Games, when the threat of her and Peeta’s suicide in the arena led to the Capitol allowing them both to live.  Nor could she know how much her ‘undying love’ for Peeta would affect her relationships back home in District 12, especially with Gale, the friend-with-the-possibility-of more she had to leave behind. 

There’s SO much going on in the book, and I would not want to deprive you of all the moments that left me gasping in shock.  Expect trouble in the Districts, an appearance from the odious President Snow, and a shocking twist to the rules of the Games.  So surprising that I believe I yelled out “WHAT?!”  Suzanne Collins, I love you yet I curse your name – now that’s what I call a good writer.

The unrelenting grip of the Capitol and the misery that hangs over the daily lives of those in the Districts sometimes made me long for a good action scene in the arena just to get away from it.  But Katniss’ ability to appreciate the small pleasures in her expected-to-be-brief life helped turn it around.  I detested the Capitol’s treachery, envied Katniss’ bravery, and laughed at least one time at Peeta’s complete audacity.

I hope you like Catching Fire as much as I did.  Put your name on hold for the book now at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment