Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top Books of the Year

So I realize everyone loves reading as much as I do (lol just joking) but I figured I’d let you know some of the top books from the year, from people whose opinions I pay attention to (doesn’t mean I necessarily agree with them).

First of all, the best book I read all year is “Christless Christianity” by Michael Horton. I highly recommend it. It was a little academic at some points, but overall I didn’t think it was a very difficult read. The author basically looks at modern Christianity in North America and compares it to two of the largest heresies in Christian history – Pelagianism and Gnosticism. It wasn’t actually written this year, but it was still good, so it makes it on the list. There’s also a sequel, “The Gospel-Driven Life,” and it’s sitting on my bookshelf, but I haven’t read it yet, so don’t ask.

So now for other people’s recommendations (these are just their recommendations; it doesn’t mean I’m recommending them).

C.J. Mahaney’s 4 Top Books

Christianity Today’s 4 Top Books

Denny Burke’s recommended Children’s Bible

Justin Taylor’s books recommended for kids: New Testament, Old Testament

Keith Mathison’s Significant Books

Kevin DeYoung’s 10 Top Books

Ligonier Ministry’s recommended books

Mark Dever’s 3 Top Books

Russell Moore’s 10 Top Books

Scott McKnight’s Top Books

Thabiti Anyabwile’s 5 Top Books

Tim Challies’ 9 Top Books

Tony Reinke’s 13 Gift Ideas

Trevin Wax’s 10 Top Books

Upcoming books from Crossway/Zondervan, Baker/Moody

That’s alot of different books, but I’d like to point out a few that showed up multiple times: Adopted for Life by Russell Moore; Calvin by Bruce Gordon; The Case for Life by Scott Klusendorf; Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller; Finally Alive by John Piper; The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne; Why Johnny Can’t Preach by David Gordon; Why We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck

[Via http://solidg.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment