Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three Books That Changed My Life

Not all that long ago, I had absolutely no answers to the questions you should have figured out by the time you reach your late-twenties: Who am I? Where am I going? What do I want? Etc.  In short, I was lost.  I had strayed away from the flock and forgotten about the healing power of prayer and the amazing love and forgiveness of Jesus.  Through some amazing life events, which are too long of stories to explain here, I was introduced to three books that would ultimately change my life:  A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller, In the Meantime, by Iyanla Vanzant, and Crazy Love, by Francis Chan.

To be quite honest, I’m not sure if A Million Miles in a Thousand Years would have affected me as much as it did if it had not come into my life at the exact perfect time from the most unexpected of sources…and to think some people actually question divine intervention! The essence of the book is about a man who achieves his goal, but is left unfulfilled, tired, and bored.  He is forced to take a good hard look at himself through the eyes of an outsider, and realizes the person he has become is not at all the person he really wants to be.  The following quote just about sums up the entire book:  “I wondered if life could be lived more like a good story in the first place.  I wondered whether a person could plan a story for his life and live it intentionally.”  For so long I had felt trapped into a story I had written that had gone terribly wrong somewhere along the way. What was worse was I felt like there was nothing I could do about it!  Through Miller’s ideas of character arc, conflict, fearless living, and resolution, I was able to find the courage I needed to redefine my character, rewrite my story, and start living the life I wanted.

[Via http://lifebeyondfiction.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment