Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Stroke of Insight - review

Jill Bolte Taylor’s, My Stroke of Insight is a perfect argument for metaphysics.  A renowned scientist who experiences and describes nirvana better than a lot of the books currently on the market. Dr. Taylor’s description of the brain and its “plasticity” is fascinating made more so by her vivid description of the experience of having a stroke and the journey back.

My Stroke of Insight begins with a description of the person Dr. Taylor was before the stroke.  A published neoroanatomist, Dr. Taylor first became interested in the study of the brain because of a family member who suffers from schizophrenia. She describes the work she was doing with NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and how that work led her to the championing the cause of brain donation and the Harvard Brain Bank.

The ’simple science’ chapters make the brain accessible and really help the ‘non-scientist’ understand what happens to the brain during and after a stroke. I think any reader who has questions about how the brain works would be helped by reading this book. Personally, as a person with multiple sclerosis I found the science chapters very helpful. In fact, Dr. Taylor answered questions I didn’t know I had about the brain it’s function. I have some renewed hope that I can build some new pathways in my own brain. If you or someone you know is suffering from an illness that involves the brain this book could change your life.

Dr. Taylor’s stroke is described through the eyes of a scientist. She started that day like any other and it was a while before she understood what was happening. As I was reading I found myself mentally trying to help her and imagine what I would do if this brain emergency was happening to me? I mean, Dr. Taylor is a brain scientist and it took her  some time to realize what was going on. The numbers are sobering. According to one study there are about 500,000 strokes a year in the US and 150,000 people die. This makes Dr. Taylor’s journey even more remarkable.

Dr. Taylor writes,

“I realized that the blessing I had recieved from this experience was the knowledge that deep internal peace is accessible to anyone at any time. I believe the experience of Nirvana exists in the consciousness of our right hemisphere, and that at any moment we can choose to hook into that part of out brain.”

That one quote literally sums up what metaphysicians  believe.  We believe in the power of the mind to achieve grace and oneness of the spirit with the creator. I believe that oneness of the spirit is what our souls seek.

The beauty of Dr. Taylor’s Stroke of Insight is that she is a scientist. This gives her credibility and she is less likely to be dismissed by the scientific community. Further the book is a bestseller which means a lot of people will understand the power of peace and the right brain. I believe if people read this book they may give a second look to understanding the power that metaphysics can have in their lives.

[Via http://untieu.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment