Sunday, August 23, 2009

<i>One Foot in Eden</i> by Ron Rash

It’s no secret that I love the writing of this author.  Rash’s language is so beautiful and simple, and, yet, so richly complex.  Reading a novel or story written by Ron Rash, you can hear the Southern drawl, as I’ve said before.  It’s black velvet.  No matter how dark the story, the words are coated with honey, wrapped in velvet.

One Foot in Eden is a wonderfully complex read, filled with layers.  I just love the way he changed points-of-view.  The characters are beautifully written, warm with life and personality.  Or cold with life and personality, depending.  The parallel between the High Sheriff and his wife, Janice, and Billy and Amy Holcombe was fascinating.

This is a book that kept me guessing, which is a rare find, indeed.  I did not figure out what Billy did with that body until he told me!  I thought he’d done what the sheriff thought he’d done with it, though I thought it before the sheriff.    

And, like the excellent storyteller he is, Mr. Rash made me wait to find out.

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

[Via http://dynamisimmortal.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment