Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reading for pleasure and not for work...

So, I’ve been trying to read non-romance stuff lately, since, well, reading romance is what I do for work. =P I went to the huge sale Waldenbooks was having when they went out of business a while and just roamed through and bought random stuff. lol Yeah, that’s what I do best. I also got some B&N gift certificates of Christmas and got online and bought some of the books on sale for $1.99 and $2.99. 

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Piccoult: This was a really good book and Jodi definitely knew her stuff when she was writing this one. She did a great job with knowing all the medical and legal stuff…I know I couldn’t. I must admit, I was less than pleased with the ending, but I won’t ruin it for anyone. One thing I really love was the POV usage. It was all in first person, but in each of the characters “first person”. I really enjoyed getting to know each character.

Driving With Dead People by Monica Holloway: Oh. My. God. This book was fan-freaking-tastic. Simply amazing. I can’t go on enough about how much I loved this book. I had trouble putting it down. It’s a memoir, which I don’t normally read, but I think after this one, I’ll be looking for a lot more interesting ones such as this one. The story is so sad, but Monica’s writing almost bypasses it, not really letting you concentrate on it so much. Instead of telling her story in a “woe is me” manner, she just tells it like any of us would speak about our great childhoods. One of the jacket quotes said it best: “Monica is an author who can make you cry and laugh in the same sentence.” Boy, was that the truth. This is a book that definitely needs to be on everyone’s TBR list.

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer: Okay, so I’m only just now almost done with the second book, New Moon, and my parents got me the set for Christmas. It normally doesn’t take that long for me to finish YA books. I mean, hell, I finished Harry Potter in nothing flat. But as much as I like the books, there’s some major stretches of boring. The first 1/3 of New Moon….man, I couldn’t get through it. I had to put it down and come back to it a couple of months later. And now that I’m past it, I’m loving the story. And it was like that with Twilight, too. Some major stretches of yawns. Times of “come on, let’s get to the action now.” If I were “just a reader” it might not bother me so much, but sometimes I just can’t turn the editor gene off, and reading the Twilight series is like that for me. I’m making it through though. =P

I’ve got some other ones in my TBR pile, so I’ll be sure to post those when I get done…and I’ll do better “reviews”. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment