Sunday, April 12, 2009

<i>A Dangerous Climate</i> by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

I can’t say I liked this book, but I can’t really say I disliked it, either.  If anything, I’m disappointed.  A Dangerous Climate had the potential to be the most interesting, the most thrilling, St. Germain novel in years.  What happens?  “I challenge you to a duel”, in true melodramatic fashion, then, no duel.  What? 

Niklos barely gets to St. Petersburg, then they’re gone, before anything really interesting could happen.  I was amused by the Czar’s letter, but the rest of the ending was a flop.  Wouldn’t it have been better if it had been the real St. Germain Broughton met in Paris, along with, maybe, II Ferenz Ragozci? 

This book is just too neat with very little real action.  However, I love this series and I’ve been looking forward to the story told in the next book, Burning Shadows, for a very long time.  If you’re not yet acquainted with my favorite Count, don’t start here.

Rating:  3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment