Thursday, October 15, 2009

Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons, by Sharon Creech, was a truly moving story, and my only regret is that I did not force myself to read this story when I was younger. I always loved Sharon Creech. Bloomability was my absolutely favorite novel when I was in Middle School. It made me want to go to Boarding School! I remember looking at this book and thinking that I did not want to read it, even if it had won an award. I was quiet bitter against Walk Two Moons because it got an award and Bloomability didn’t. Now I understand.

This is a moving story about a young girls journey to acceptance and discovery. What would you do if your mother left and never came back? How would you accept it? Sharon Creech answers these questions by weaving together the story of two girls who’s mothers left for the various reasons that parents abandon their children. You watch as Phoebe goes through all of the steps, the denial, the anger, the hurt… everything. And then Sal relates this to how she felt when her mother left for Idaho without out her. And then, in the end, when everything comes together and Sal faces the truth of the situation, your heart breaks.

I saw the signs coming… I knew how it was going to end before I got there, but that didn’t make the journey any less beautiful. And then you go and look at the cover and you realize that it was all there the whole time. This story doesn’t disguise anything. It is like the symbolism that was spoken about… “…I hate it when people say the woods symbolize death or beauty or sex or any old thing you want. I hate that. Maybe the woods are just woods.” I have always felt that. I have always hated symbolism. But then again, maybe sometimes we have to look past the exterior and discover what was intended, especially when it comes to helping people. How many more people could have helped Sal and Phoebe if they had looked past the front that they put on and discovered the true feelings they were feeling.

Anyway, over all, this was a great book! I will definitely be returning to this one day in the near future… and when I have children, I will be pushing this into their hands. I give this a 4.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment