Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Undress me in the temple of heaven Susan Gilman

I recently finished reading a book by Susan Gilman called Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven. It was a memoir that took place in China circa 1986. The author and her friend decided rather spontanteously while eating pancakes drunkly at Ihop that they would travel the world together starting first with China. I thought that sounds promising. I do afterward yearn to travel, but I never set my heart on China. All I thought of it was smog, smog and more smog. Oh and coughing up black phelgm, yummy! This book changed my mind about it, even though Susan’s adventure through China with someone who she didn’t know that well was a hell of a rollercoaster ride, the experiences with China and the Chinese was very special. I’m sure that China circa 2009 is going to be a lot different than China circa 1986. I guess one could say that what I’m feeling for this book is just I want to travel.

It’s the style that Susan writes that I love too. It’s so humorus and honest. I know that this review isn’t really a review. It’s more of what I feel about this book, but I still greatly recommend this book to anyone who has a niche for travelling and experiences.

- Cheyenne La Vallee

No comments:

Post a Comment