Monday, July 6, 2009

The Best of Roald Dahl

‘The Umbrella Man’ was my introduction to the delightful world of Roald Dahl.  After that I never skipped a chance to read Roald Dahl book – and honestly, I did not like all of them equally. But I do believe that Roald Dahl is the master of short stories especially the creepy and macabre ones. ‘The Best of Roald Dahl’ is a collection of story that are outright creepy. You browse along happily page after page and then suddenly the tale twists and gets your skin crawling. While all of them are good , my favorites would be  ‘ Parson’s Pleasure’ the story of a rare antique collector  who cheats dull minded farm people of their rare furniture pieces and how he meets his match, ‘Taste’ the story of an arrogant wine taster and ‘Lamb to a slaughter’ – the story of a harmless wife turned murderer .

The others are good but some of them like ‘Pig’ , ‘Ratcatcher’ , ‘William and Mary’ are too graphic and icky for my liking. None of the stories are truly scaring – atleast not in the ghost-story kind of way which is good coz you can sleep at night.

Verdict : Highly recommended

 

No comments:

Post a Comment