Tuesday, February 2, 2010

New Job! - Nairobi's Knapsack Toy and Play Gallery

On Saturday, I started my first day at the new job (which I found thanks to Pratt’s Career Services job listings, not Craigslist, thankyouverymuch!) – as a Party Assistant at Nairobi’s Knapsack Toy and Play Gallery!

It’s an adorable little boutique and play space down the road in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, full of multicultural and hand-picked toys, gifts, and other fun stuff for the 8-and-under set. My job, as Party Assistant, is to help out with the birthday parties that happen every weekend, from setting up/cleaning up to serving food, playing games and doing crafts with the kids, and generally just being handy.

For a first day, I think it went really well? It’s kind of a new experience to work with kids that are brand-new to you every 3 hours, and all of whom have parents standing around (not like camp OR school!). But all of the clientele are super-lovely . . . friendly, educated, diverse – the type of people that make me want to have some babies and be a hip Brooklyn parent!

The best part of the job, hands down, are the people.  I’m constantly meeting new families and getting to be in their lives, if only for a moment, when they are at their happiest.  It’s a funny feeling to be a part of a special celebration, 2-3 times a week, every week.  I kept thinking that I am on the brink of some great revelation about birthdays . . . I guess I’ll have to let you know when that happens.

In the meantime, check out my all-time favorite birthday book – perfect for the little one in your life who is about to get a year older.  And if you’re in Brooklyn, don’t forget to check out Nairobi’s Knapsack, become a fan of the store and buy some toys!

Birthday Presents by Cynthia Rylant (Scholastic, 1991).

[Via http://walkinginpublic.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment