Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Alexander: The Ends of the Earth by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

The final book in the praised series by Manfredi was not as bad as the second book in the series. I am sure this book suffers from loss in translation. There are things that should be joshing between friends or emotional scenes that should elicit a strong response from the reader, but for me, it fell flat.

I was happy to see the trilogy through to the end. The story of Alexander is one that demands as many retellings as we are willing to give it. Manfredi does an excellent job of showing us the locales, people, and battles that were involved in the campaigns, as well as the tension between Alexander and his army the farther they moved from home.

For me, Manfredi’s books are interesting, but not great. I will continue my search for the penultimate Alexander book.

Rating: 3 out of 5 (What’s This?)

[Via http://libzig.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment